Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Drain, Fill, Dwell

Each afternoon at 3:00 I start the dialysis process.  For sixteen hours I go through five three-part cycles.  The first part of those cycles is the "drain."  All the old sugar solution in my abdominal cavity must be drained out.  The next part is the "fill."  New solution must be put back in.  And lastly there is the "dwell."  That is the hours when the sugar solution just stays put to do it's job of gathering fluid (just like sugar on strawberries).

Shortly after I was trained in this home dialysis therapy, it occurred to me that the process was identical to the emotional healing that has been taking place in my life.  I, like many people, had some rough places in my early childhood that had left me hurt and broken.  I have been on a journey to allow God to heal those things and get rid of their ongoing impact on my life. 

Often when I go through the "drain" during my dialysis sessions, it is uncomfortable.  My nurses call it "pain on drain."  (Nothing like a cute little rhyme to describe such an unpleasant occurrence.)  It is physically upsetting and it can be emotionally upsetting because I don't know when the pain will end.  Finding the resolve to bring past hurts into the light of God's love and healing has been a painful exercise.  Why would I want to dredge up those old things, feel shame or relive the harmful
experiences--that hurts and how long will it take before the pain ends?  But the old has to go so the new can come. 

In the New Testament it says, " Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:  The old has gone, the new is here!"  (2 Corinthians 5:17)  That is what has been happening.  I can't say it has been the quickest journey I've ever been on--in fact at times the progress is unperceivable.  But the old is going and I am being filled with the new abundant life that God has promised.  I am finding joy and starting to challenge the lies that entered my life along with the hurts and harms. 


I am being filled with simple things I use to be too busy or sad to notice--a ride around a nearby lake, a herd of deer walking through the farm field behind our house, our silly gray cat jumping on our old dog's back.   I am being filled by seeing "snowglobe" snow through the window panes in our family room and by the evening newscast of a soldier returning home to surprise his/her child at school.  I am filled with pleasure as I watch my daughters flourish and find their passions in life (they are so much smarter than I was at their ages).  I am filled when I get to teach children of Jesus' inexhaustible love for them.

And then there's that third part of the cycle--the "dwell."   During the night I can check the LCD display on my dialysis machine to track the progress of the "drain" or the "fill" but when it's the "dwell" part of the cycle I have to just wait.  There is nothing that can be measured or tracked.  I don't like this part of the the night cycle because I can't tell what is happening.  I just have to trust that the sugar solution is doing it's job.  I have no control at this point.

The last three and half years of my life have been the longest "dwell" I have ever experienced.  There have been many points where I felt God had deserted me.   At times I have felt prayer was completely useless .  I have spent hours laying on our couch wondering why God spared my life and what in the world did I now have to offer.  The darkness has been palpable and I have not enjoyed waiting for God to reveal His next move.  I have questioned whether I have done something wrong and whether or not the promise I felt God made to me years before I became ill was just my wishful thinking or something to which I should steadfastly hold.  I don't know what is happening and I am not in control!  In the Old Testament God reaches out to His nation of Israel who has been exiled and He says, " For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)  I am holding on to these words in my "dwell."


4 comments:

  1. Steph, a few years ago you gave me a framed scripture of Zephaniah 3:17 that I put in a prominent place to remind me of your love and His love: "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." All of us who love you so much are part of that grateful chorus :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe there are two categories for healing. There is a "Creative Healing" that happens immediately (God bending the natural laws of this world) and then there is a "Re-Creative Healing" which takes some time (to impart fresh life to). I believe God is more concerned with our spiritual and emotional healing and wants to see those manifested first within us before the physical healing manifests. I say "manifest" because I believe the healing is in us already through the finished work of the Cross and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. But, if we are still holding on to emotional and spiritual "dis-ease", it can not reveal itself because the "root" of the problem was not removed. God wants us healed and whole! He wants our spirits and souls in complete harmony with each other first. His Word is what heals our inner being. Meditate on His promises He has NEVER broken one of them! Praise and Worship His Name! He inhabits our praises and where God is ... sickness, darkness and all evil must flee!

    1 Peter 2:24
    King James Version (KJV)
    24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye WERE healed.

    3 John 1:2
    King James Version (KJV)
    2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph,

    I cannot understand what this journey is like because I have never faced anything like it. We all have our own difficulties and pain to carry, but for some reason unbeknownst to us here on earth, the Father has chosen an especially difficult path for you. How I wish it were not so, yet I take my comfort from the truth that God is good and His ways are perfect. I do not know what good will come out of it for you, your family or others but I do know we serve a Redeeming God. We can only trust in the One who does all things well. Wish I weren't half the world away so some days we could drink coffee together, and laugh or cry depending on the need of the day. I am so proud of you, Steph for never giving up faith.

    ReplyDelete