Friday, February 22, 2013

Reflections

Crunch!  Crack!  "Oh no, that is not good," I said out loud as I heard plastic falling on the cement floor.

A couple of weekends ago we had over three feet of snow here in Connecticut.  The plowed snow is piled so high along our driveway that we can't see to safely enter our road.  Our solution has been to back our car into the garage so we can pull forward into the road.

I thought I had lined our old silver Volvo wagon up with the garage opening so I gave it some gas and that's when I learned that I had misjudged where I was.  The poor passenger side view mirror paid the price for my error.  The mirror glass cracked in a stripe pattern.  Chunks of the black plastic mirror casing were laying on the garage floor.  The mirror's wire mechanism was hanging and exposed.  The white paint on the garage door was scuffed up.  I really did it up right. (I've always been an over achiever.)

Since the "accident," I have driven here and there and instinctively I look in that mirror to try get my bearings.  It's a disconcerting experience to try to see clearly through cracks.  I sort of see a recognizable image but it is distorted and I can't trust what I'm perceiving in the mirror.  What I see does not represent reality.

In 1 Corinthians 13:12 the scripture says, " For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know fully even as also I was fully known."  At times my life experiences belie the truth about who God is.  The Psalmist repeatedly writes, "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.  His love endures forever."  When things don't make sense to me,  I question God's motives and purposes and wonder if he is indeed good.  In those moments, I cannot trust my emotions or thoughts.  The reality does not change though the way I look at God may change--He is good.


1 comment:

  1. That is all to a familiar picture for me! When trouble comes my way, I immediately go to John 10:10 and let the enemy know that I see through his evil plans ... I then remind him of Who my Daddy is!

    2 Corinthians 9:8
    And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

    ReplyDelete