Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Manna

"Steph, I'm taking a calligraphy course, would you like me to show you what I'm learning so you can do it too?," asked my friend, Becky.

"That I would be great," I answered enthusiastically.

My friend gave me lined practice sheets and showed me at what angle I should hold the chiseled calligraphy pen.  The two of us threw ourselves into our newest artistic endeavor.  We made signs for church and beautiful gift tags. We lettered verses and sayings and then framed the pieces to give away as gifts.  Knowing the basics of the pretty penmanship opened up all kinds creative worlds.

When Jim and I were preparing to move from Ohio to New York, Becky took me out to lunch.  Part way through our meal, she handed me a small package.  "Here is a little something for you as you and Jim head off to seminary."

I open the wrapped gift to find a blond wooden frame surrounding the calligraphed saying (in Becky's style), "God has not lost his recipe for manna."

"I thought you might need that reminder," said my dear friend.

That little picture has hung in every home we've lived in since.  And we have needed the reminder that just like God sent daily bread (manna) to his Hebrew people as they left Egypt for the promise land, He will do the same for us.  When God sent food for each day with the morning dew, he told his people to take only what they needed for that day (there was no going to Costco to stock up on manna).  "Give us this day our daily bread."

I am learning that my healing journey has been receiving enough "manna" for one day at a time.  There has been no stocking up.  Jesus says he is the bread of life.  So each day I ask him for his provision and grace to carry me through one more day--manna.


No comments:

Post a Comment