Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Moon


"Jim are you ready to go? It's starting to get dark."

Jim and I got in our '01 gray Volvo station wagon and drove off to a nearby lake to see the Super Moon rise.  It was a magnificent summer evening and we arrived at the lake just in time to see the big, perfectly round bright moon ascending up in the sky. The huge circle laid down a brilliant path that spread all the way across the calm lake waters.  The light path was so wide and so bright, I felt I could hop out of our car (minus my wheel chair) and run to the other side of the lake on the newly laid path.  The thought of running on top of the water brought such  joy!

As I watched the moon change position in the sky and the light path ripple in the wake of a boat crossing it, I began to think about the moon being a reflection of the sun. The moon's beauty and nighttime guiding light is dependent on the sun.  It cannot fulfill it's purpose without the sun.

These qualities are not unlike my own life.  I cannot fulfill my design and purpose without reflecting the "light of the world"--God's Son.  In the Old Testament book of Micah there is a concise description of what I, as a God follower's purpose should be:  act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God.  I can not do these things on my own I must depend on the Son.

You too can reflect the Son.  Let your brilliance and beauty shine through.

1 comment: