Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Tire Swing

"Dad they have a tire swing in their yard,  may we go out and swing on it?," was the inquiry of our little six year old visitor.  She and her little sister were full of joy at the thought of sticking their legs through the hole in the old black tire and swinging back and forth past the forsythia bushes and the stockade fence.

Watching the two young girls dressed in brightly colored outfits run out to play on the tire swing flashed me back to nearly twenty years ago when I had two small daughters running up the hill to do the same thing.  That swing has hung on the giant maple tree for about thirty years.  It has weathered sun, rain, snow, and wind--steadfastly baring it all.

Yesterday Jim pushed me out in my wheelchair to the back door of the garage where I had a clear view of the tire swing.  I marveled over the thought that the long rope with tight knots had been there as long as the swing.

"Did you ever change the rope," I asked Jim.

"No.  I tried to change the tire once but the knot around it was so strong, I couldn't get it loose."

As I sat soaking in fresh air from my chair and admiring the deep blue sky, I mused over the thought that the swing moves back and forth.  Sometimes it twirls in circles and blows around in the wind.  But ultimately it is anchored to the large branch on the majestic maple tree that stands in the yard.

In recent months, I have swung back and forth between medical challenges and happy dates with Jim at the park.   I have gone around in circles trying to make life altering decisions.  I have weathered good times and rough times but in the end I am anchored to my heavenly Father--securely tied, safely held.

In the book of Hebrews, chapter six, it speaks to this very thing when it says:
         "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." 

No matter which way I'm swinging or twirling, I am anchored firm and secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment