Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Rain Umbrella

I was five and a half (the half was very important) and it was the summer before I was to start kindergarten.  I had attended my Kindergarten Visit Day and I was very proud of what I learned and I was anticipating the start of my academic career.  I had practiced walking the route to my little brick elementary school (my mom had four children under the age of five and a half and it was unlikely she would be able to walk with me every afternoon--times were different back then.)

I could hardly wait to start school.  I was the oldest sibling in my family and the oldest grandchild as well, so I was the first to embark on the new experience.  My grandmother wanted to be a part of the new adventure and she asked my mother if we could all go shopping so she could buy me a few school necessities.  My mother was delighted for the help so we travelled from New Jersey to Connecticut to shop at the large Post Mall.

Grammie took mom and I to her favorite department store, Reeds.  We walked through the Children's Department.  We picked out a couple of colorful school outfits (most suitable for cold weather).  Then the most incredible thing happened to my five and a half year old self!  My grandmother spotted a display of children's rain gear.

"Stephie will definitely need a rain coat and umbrella, especially if she is going to walk to Mrs. Wilhelm's afternoon class."

Did my ears just hear her correctly?  Was Grammie talking about me having my own umbrella?

The three of us ladies pawed through the rain coat choices on the rack.  We settled on a blue and white check ensemble--a rain coat and a matching umbrella (and not just any umbrella, but a bubble umbrella).  I was going to be the coolest kid in my family, in my grade, in my school, in my town, maybe even the world!

Every night from then on until the night before the first day of school I prayed, "dear God please let it rain on the first day of school. Please, please let it rain."

It did not rain on my first day of kindergarten but it rained plenty of other days and my bubble umbrella and I weathered many rainstorms.

In the past years, I have needed a bubble umbrella to shelter me from the storms.  Psalm 91, verse one says: "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."--a protective bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment