Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Mine Field

Our tour bus was traveling north through Israel's Golan Heights.  It was the first time we had seen green fields and orchards on our trip.  As we enjoyed the view, our guide explained to us that this land was fertile and had the potential to produce wonderful crops.  There was just one problem.  The Golan Heights was a highly disputed piece of land in Israel.   Wars had been fought over this territory.  So in an attempt to make the Heights undesirable to the opposition, the land had been heavily mined.
After giving us that bit of information, our guide invited us to get off the bus for pictures if we were interested but before we deboarded he strongly warned us, "do not step off the road."  Jim and I did climb off the bus but standing on the pavement I had an ominous feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I did not like knowing that we were just feet away from grave danger.  The signs all along the road only reinforced the feeling.  "Danger Mines!"

Danny, our tour leader, went on to explain that the military had maps showing where the mines were but because it was uncertain as to who would end up with the land, the government would not pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars to clear the mines and reclaim the beautiful, rich acreage.

As I thought back on this event, it reminded me of one of my favorite scriptures,  "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8

This week I learned that I have yet another physical set-back (the latest "mine," if you will, in the landscape of my health) which will require an invasive procedure to determine what is happening in my body.  In the midst of this latest news, I began to look for any place that I could find peace and a respite from the anxiety that has been washing over me.  The Deuteronomy verse came to my mind.  The Lord is going to go before me.  He has the map of my life and He will clear the way to take me through this most recent event safely without fear and discouragement.   He will never leave me alone on the road.  And because of that, I am choosing to have hope.

1 comment: