Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Baby Shower

When I was pregnant with our first daughter I was graciously given a couple of baby showers.   Ladies gathered, their hair done up pretty, splashed with pleasant floral smelling perfumes and dressed in pretty clothes with matching shiny bobbles.  The kind women came carrying gifts wrapped in paper printed with pastel blue, yellow and green bows and little baby footprints on it.  Tiny sandwiches and pink punch was served and then it was time for the main event -- unwrapping the big pile of gifts.

Oohs and aahs accompanied each revelation of what was in a box.  The older ladies said things like, "boy they didn't have that when my kids were born." (I now find myself in that category.)  Itty bitty dresses, shoes, onesies, receiving blankets, and hooded bath towels were neatly folded and put in a pile to be loaded up by my husband at the end of the shower.

Illustration by Julie Vivas in "The Nativity"
Among all the sweet baby things I received, someone gave me a gift I treasure to this day.  Our baby was due around Christmas time and I received a book titled, "The Nativity," illustrated by Julie Vivas.  This talented, whimsical artist showed a fresh view of the birth of Jesus.  One of my favorite pictures in the book is the shepherds peeking over the edge of the manger looking at the newborn baby.

When Jesus came, it was rough sheep herding men who were invited to the be the first visitors.  There were no baths and pretty clothes, no lotions to soften up those weathered hands.  There were no beautifully wrapped presents to welcome the baby and no cameras to record the infant's first moments, just awe and adoration. 

Isn't that the story of Christmas?-- a savior who was born under modest circumstances;  a savior who came for all people;  a savior who invites us to come as we are--rough, untidy, unkempt;  a savior who requires no gifts from us but instead gives us his gift of everlasting love.

Fall on your knees
Oh hear the angels' voices
Oh night divine
Oh night when Christ was born.



No comments:

Post a Comment