Saturday, October 19, 2013

Essence

In the last eight weeks since I have been housebound, the food channels and I are great buddies.  I am getting a culinary education--I am now fluent in Italian, Chinese, French, Diner and Midwestern food, well, in a virtual kind of way. 

This morning I was watching a new cooking show that one of the networks has recently launched.  The chef was making an interesting marinade for her braised ribs.  It was a combination of vinegar, fresh herbs, garlic, and ginger.  She chopped and peeled and combined.  When she processed the ginger, she showed how to cut off the tough exterior of the root to expose the pungent flesh.  Then she sliced the ginger into pieces.  Lastly she turned the slices flat on her wooden cutting board, took the side of her large chef's knife and whacked the ginger.  "You need to bruise the ginger to release the essence of the spice," she said.

Her description reminded me that last weekend Jim was working in our backyard.  He decided to put our mint in a pot since it has a mind of it's own and was beginning to venture out all over the patio ("prone to wander, Lord I feel it" as the old song goes).  As Jim handled the mint for the move, its wonderful aroma floated into our family room through open the screen door.  How delightful was that sweet, fresh smell!

In the last four and a half years, I feel like I have been whacked.  My physical brokenness has stripped me to my very core.  Who am I and what am I about without all the "doing" that used to be part of my life?  What is the essence that has been released--is it love, anger, joy, fear, kindness, thankfulness (probably all of the above)?

In Isaiah, the Scripture says, "But He was wounded for our transgressions; He was bruised for our iniquities."  This verse foreshadows the life of Jesus.  When the Messiah was "bruised for our iniquities," His essence of love and mercy were poured out.  May his fragrance pour over me.



No comments:

Post a Comment