Thursday, April 11, 2013

Peepers

Last night I heard them!  That welcomed sound that heralds the arrival of Spring--peepers. 

The peepers live in a large puddle that has gathered this time of year at the edge of our property.  We have a creek that flows in front of our large gray rock and then wanders down along the property line through some trees and shrubs that we share with the neighbor. 

I only know the little creatures are there because of their sounds.  Truthfully, I have never seen them and I don't know what color they are or how big they are.  In fact today when I looked them up in Google Images I was surprised to find out they are only an inch and a half long.  Their voices pack a punch for being so little.


Isn't faith just like the peeper?  It is unseen but there is evidence that it exists.  In the book of Hebrews faith is described as  "confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."  When we hear the sound of the little amphibians we begin to hope for the warmer weather of Spring and the change of season after enduring a long Winter.  We cannot see the little creatures but we are sure they are there by their choir of churps.  Faith in God allows us to be confident, knowing He has plans and the power to carry them out.  We can be sure that God will keep His promises and that He does not change even though we cannot see Him.

The peeper is tiny but his voice is big.  In the Gospels, Jesus says, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” 

When I was a young girl someone gave me a necklace with a mustard seed in a magnifying glass as a pendant.  The mustard seed was so little it was almost undetectable without the enlargement of the magnifier.  I remember being entrigued by that picture of faith -- the idea that God was willing to accept the most minute amount of my belief to do great things.  I liked that I did not have to conjure up a big bunch of faith in order to have God move. 

Oh God, take my smallest gestures of belief and turn them into a joyful chorus of hope and movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment